Z31 Fiche Index
The Z Registry
In case you want to know
how I'm doing,
Deer Valley, Arizona
The Specialty Shop's Solid Differential Mount Installation
Click any picture to see an enlarged view.
WARNING: It is highly recommended you not install this part unless you have solid crossmember mounts.
The Specialty Shop also sells solid crossmember bushings.
Note: These instructions and photos were written using a prototype.
The actual look of the mount may differ slightly, but the install instructions should not change.
- 3/8" socket wrench
- 3/8" 6" extension
- 3/8" regular 10 mm socket
- 3/8" regular 14 mm socket
- 3/8" deep well 14 mm socket
- 1/2" socket wrench
- 1/2" 3" extension
- 1/2" 9" extension
- 1/2" regular 12 mm socket
- 1/2" regular 14 mm socket
- 1/2" regular 17 mm socket
- regular 17 mm wrench
- 1/2" torque wrench
- car ramps or jack stands
- floor jack
- creeper (unless you like trying to slide around on your back on concrete)
- Put the rear of the car up on ramps or jack stands. (ramps are recommended)
- Remove the differential heat shield by removing the two 10mm nuts.
- Remove all the nuts and bolts holding the differential mount to the body and the diff. Don't lose the wire.
- Support the rear of the differential with the floor jack.
- Remove the four bolts holding the differential to the crossmember. Use the flat 17mm wrench to get the top nuts.
- Lower the rear of the differential until the mount falls out. Keep in mind the driveshaft and half shafts are still connected.
- Install the new solid diff mount and raise the rear of the differential. Put the nuts and bolts on, but do not tighten.
- Reinstall the bolts holding the differential to the crossmember, and only hand tighten them.
- Get all the nuts and bolts on the differential mount hand tight.
- Remove the jack.
- Torque the diff mount to body nuts and bolts.
- Torque the diff mount to diff nuts.
- Torque the diff to crossmember nuts and bolts.
- Reinstall the heat shield.